Senators file bill to build Fort Gordon child development center
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - U.S. Sens. Reverend Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff introduced a new bill to ensure Fort Gordon families have access to early childhood education.
The Georgia Democrats introduced the Fort Gordon Child Development Center Expansion Act to help build the center.
Sens. Ossoff and Warnock secured bipartisan support in Congress last year to deliver $21 million for the center, offering more space and modernizing classrooms.
However, the Department of Defense’s authorization for the project is set to expire at the end of this fiscal year.
The newly filed legislation would give the Army a one-year extension.
“I’m committed to making sure the military families on post and all who are serving at Fort Gordon have access to early childhood education,” Ossoff said.
Warnock said: “Our military families sacrifice so much for our country, and it is our duty as a nation to ensure they have the support they need.”
Fort Gordon has been a special emphasis for Ossoff.
Over the past two years, he’s led bipartisan investigations into problems with privatized family housing on the post.
FORT GORDON HOUSING WOES | MORE THAN A DECADE OF I-TEAM COVERAGE:
- New housing has same old problems at Fort Gordon, families say
- Fort Gordon housing investigation
- Ossoff returns to Fort Gordon to announce progress
- Families share stories on Fort Gordon housing problems
- Fort Gordon housing investigation could bring consequences
- Fort Gordon housing provider pleads guilty to fraud scheme
- How military families feel about housing settlement
- 10 years later, we hear from the private company that provides housing on Fort Gordon
- Mold, filth linger in Fort Gordon housing, investigators find
- U.S. Army kept in the dark about many issues, employee says
- Asking about Balfour Beatty complaints only raises more questions
- Some companies still fail to address safety issues in military housing
- Explaining the safety behind the Tenant Bill of Rights
- Housing company responds to allegations about drowning at Fort Gordon
- Mold, bugs, and safety issues put spotlight on housing provider
- GAO report shows much work to be done for private military housing
- Mold at Fort Gordon? Part 1 and Part 2
- Crews demolish housing unfit for Fort Gordon service members
- 8 years after reports of mold at homes, problems may still exist
Copyright 2023 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.